Thursday, June 25, 2009

The man, the myth, the legend.


June 25th 2009

Today we heard the news that we lost the king of pop, Michael Jackson. To sum up how I felt about this news, was devastated. Some may laugh that anyone could cry over someone they didn't know, but the fact is we did know him. Through his songs that have inspired us for over 40 years, we've all grown up around those songs and made us feel things we didn't know we could feel. Michael Jackson was an inspiration to all of us, no matter what you thought about his personal life, I don't think anyone could not think of one song of Michael's they liked.

I can't even remember when I first listened to Michael, as long as I can remember, I was listening to his music and dancing to his songs. I remember the first mixed tape I had was from my uncle of MJ songs, and the first album I ever owned was Michael Jackson - History. To this day I own every album (both original and special edition), dvd, video and box set he's ever brought out. I have his songs countless of times on several CDs. Every album, song, video, movie, video game and god knows what else he's created over the years, was a work of art.

Michael Jackson is one of the greatest performers the world has ever seen. He inspired me to be on the stage. From a young age I wanted to be a singer, and then when I discovered I couldn't sing any longer I knew I still wanted to be up on that stage, and once I found out I was pretty funny, stand up comedy was my way to go. But I still was inspired to be like Michael, and when I think of if I was to ever make it big, I always dream of having a grand entrance like Michael would have.... totally over the top, but with taste.

He was a genius. He made us think about race through songs such as black or white, about love, about equality and caring for others. Songs such as heal the world and we are the world, inspired events such as live aid, helping millions all over the world. His charities feed hungry children and help young children who have been severly burnt.

His music and videos have inspired artists such as Justin Timberlake, Will Young, Usher and many others to be the stars they are today. His music and art will live on through the inspiration of others.

I actually have admit that I became tearful at work when I heard the news, and made a bit of an embarressment of myself in front of a guest. I thought it was silly, but I genuinly feel I've lost a friend or a family member. He's been part of my life for 21 years. Friends, family and colleagues texted, emailed and phoned me to ask if I was ok. I didn't know my obsession or love of Michael was so grand, and I thank those who expressed concern.

Its such a tragedy that a man has been struck down at such a young age, just before he was able to do his final farewell tour. I'm devestated that I never got to see a legend who I'd been waiting my entire life to see! However at the same time, it was good that he went now, at a time he knew he was loved all over the world. He'd sold out 50 dates, with millions of people wanting more. He really had come back and the world and himself knew it. Imagine he had gone 2 years ago when his career and respect was in crumbles. At least he died knowing that he was loved and respected all over the world by millions.

Many people laugh, joke, but people need to remember that he leaves behind 2 parents who have lost a son, 4 brothers and 2 sisters who have lost a dear sibling. He's left behind 3 children; paris, prince and blanket, who have been left orphaned; and not forgetting the millions of fans who have lost their idol. For the most part though, even those who loathed him, actually stopped today and knew something had changed. No one could walk past and laugh it off. Something happened today. I couldn't believe it. The streets were empty. Chicago was silent. People were rushing up to any tv they could find. Guests were coming back in shock.

A friend of mine works in a hotel in florida, she said the guests were opening their windows and playing michael jackson songs into the street. In new york city this evening the streets are filled with people celebrating the life of a man who gave so much.

Its awful that the bad press which surrounded him is still going on, and yet he proved two court battles to be complete lies. He was proven innocent, and left a wreck, but didn't let that stop him. I hope for once the press leave him and his family to grieve this awful time.

As for the concerts; I hope they carry them on as a memorial to a legend. There are all those dancers who are trained for the shows left unemployed, that stage is built, left for the trash, and all that hard work and effort, which could be left for ruins. I hope the creators plan a memorial for all those who have paid good money and possibly arranged flights and hotels to London to see a show, and hope they put on a show as memory to Michael Jackson. They could have great stars and performers such as Justin Timberlake and the likes perform the great songs of the a historic man, and his millions of fans would have somewhere to grieve and remember him. I hope someone decides to do this. After the death of kurt cobain, his concerts continued and were used as a memory to a man who inspired so many, and I hope this is done with MJ.

Michael wrote a song on his Dangerous album called 'Gone too soon', it was used in 1997 also as a memory to Princess Diana and I think the song is appropriate for the loss of our hero himself:

"Gone Too Soon"

Like A Comet
Blazing 'Cross The Evening Sky
Gone Too Soon

Like A Rainbow
Fading In The Twinkling Of An Eye
Gone Too Soon

Shiny And Sparkly
And Splendidly Bright
Here One Day
Gone One Night

Like The Loss Of Sunlight
On A Cloudy Afternoon
Gone Too Soon

Like A Castle
Built Upon A Sandy Beach
Gone Too Soon

Like A Perfect Flower
That Is Just Beyond Your Reach
Gone Too Soon

Born To Amuse, To Inspire, To Delight
Here One Day
Gone One Night

Like A Sunset
Dying With The Rising Of The Moon
Gone Too Soon

Gone Too Soon



Everything about these lyrics are true to this tragedy.

We know that Michael Jackson is dead, but his songs, videos and his genius works of art will live out time.

Rest in peace, Michael Jackson, my idol - the man, the myth - the ultimate legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment